Do you want to start a blog, but find it hard to get going? I began blogging several years ago, when blogging was all the rave. Back then, as a new artist, I wanted to get the word out about my unique, soulful modern paintings (that I still paint to this day) and blogging was the best way to do it. At first glance, it was a little difficult to understand WordPress, but through trial and error I learned how to create this blog and other blogs with ease. In doing so, I found these ten simple steps to be the easiest and quickest way to set up a new blog on WordPress.
- Go to wordpress.com. Create an account using your email address. Check your email to confirm that you just created an account with WordPress.
- Pick a WordPress theme for your blog. Choose any theme you like, because you can always go back and change it later. I chose Twenty Sixteen.
Open ‘My Sites’ tab at top left (if not already), scroll down and click ‘Settings’. Set the name for your new blog and add a catch phrase that tells in one short sentence what your blog is all about. If you want to brand your blog, upload a site Favicon/image (usually modified to 16 x 16 or 32 x 32 ico. file) which will stand out at the top of browser tabs, so your blog can be identified amongst other open tabs. https://www.wpsuperstars.net/add-a-favicon-in-wordpress/
If you’re on social media, you can link your blog to your accounts. Allowing your family and friends to get a notification every time you make a post from your blog. To do this, go under ‘Configure’ and select ‘Sharing’. Connect with as many pages as you would like to share your posts with. For example, if you want to share your posts to Facebook, click the ‘Connect’ button and a new window will pop up (make sure you are logged into Facebook first). Choose the profile page you want to give permission to and click connect again, now all posts will be shared automatically.
Let everyone know who you are. In the top right corner, click on the little “round avatar”. This is where you’ll update your profile information. Include the name you wish to display publicly. Write a short and sweet bio and upload a nice profile picture of yourself. This information will be included under every post, so write something quick, fun/witty and interesting about yourself.
So, you can stop here and start blogging now (go to step 7) or you can add your own “About me” page. Under ‘Manage’, click on the ‘Add’ button next to ‘Site Pages’. Title your new page and write a bit more about who you are, what you do, where you are from and why you decided to start a blog in general. Or you can include any information you would like for your readers to know. Then, hit ‘Publish’. The “About” page will show up in the main menu of your blog site.
Now, that your blog is all set up. It’s time to publish your first blog post! Click on the ‘Write’ button at the top. You’ll want to come up with a catchy title. Next, write your content (essay, poem, article, etc.) which should be approximately 250 words (equals one page for my English 1201 class) or more. You’ll find your post settings on the right. If it’s not showing up, click on the little “faucet knob” symbol next to ‘Preview’. Right click the arrow under ‘Categories & Tags’, then go to ‘Add New Category’ in blue. Here you can create main categories and sub-categories to keep your posts organized. To add a Parent Category, just give your new category a name and click ‘Add’. You should see the new category in the list. To create a second level category for your posts, go back to ‘Add New Category’. Make sure the ‘Top Level’ check box is deselected, and this time, select a Parent Category from your list for the subcategory to go under. If you would like to delete one of your categories, go to ‘Settings’, click on ‘Writing’, next ‘Categories’ and delete from there.
- Be sure to tag your post with words related to your content. Choose keywords or tags that you think people would search for on Google to find your specific topic. You can use words already in your post. But not too many, cordially nine to ten tags will be sufficient. Next, write a short excerpt under ‘More Options’. You can take the first couple of lines from your post. This will be the “description” used when your post is shared across the web or to your followers in the WordPress reader. Readers are more likely to visit your blog when they have a good idea of the content it contains. Also, adding a ‘Featured Image’ to your blog, along with a few relatable pictures throughout your post is a great way to gain new readers.
- Read over your post to make sure it is free of mistakes and reads smoothly (use the spell checker).
- Now, you’re all done, so, hit that pretty, blue ‘Publish’ button at the top, then the green one. You can also choose to ‘Publish Immediately’ which allows you to set a time and date for your work to be published. Then, you’re ready for the fun to begin…Enjoy Blogging and Good luck!
I hope you found these ten simple (but long :) steps to be an easy and quick way to set up your new blog on WordPress. If anyone in my English 1201 class, would like help setting up their blog and tips on how to manage it, please let me know, I’d be happy to help. Also, if you’re reading this post, please leave a comment below if you thought these tips were helpful or you have any questions.
Thank you for reading!
Hey, subscribe to my blog for all my latest posts : ) —>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>